Wednesday 26 April 2017

Simple sew kimono dress

Hi Everyone!

I have really been getting back into my dressmaking really after teaching beginners sewing classes it has inspired me to get back into it myself. Don't get my wrong I love my homewares and bag making but being able to sew your own clothes is very rewarding but i'll still be sewing and blogging about everything just expect to see more dressmaking.

So I must have over 100 sewing patterns in my stash lots of them being vintage patterns and I have been sorting through these recently as I will soon be moving into my new sewing room so get ready for lots of blog posts about organising.

I came across across a simple sew pattern that I got free with Love sewing magazine quite some time ago. I remember wanting to make this as soon as i got it but life takes over and I never got round to it. I knew this would be my next make I just needed the right fabric.



The biggest issue I had with this pattern is that it takes 4.3 metres of fabric at 45" wide meaning I would have to buy 4.5 metres. But as I was in my local market the other day I decided to look at fabric and saw this gorgeous print that really reminded me of holidays. When I felt it, it had a lovely silky feel to it and thought this would be perfect for the drapey-ness of this pattern. It was even 60" wide which meant I only needed 2.7 metres so bought 3 and at only £5 a metre I was more than happy.

This fabric is very tropical it has a gorgeous purple background and flowers in different shades of pink and green palm leaves and to top it all off, pink flamingos!






The dress itself is so easy to sew and from cutting out to finishing only took me about an hour and half. I want to make more now. If theres any beginners out there just getting into dressmaking then this pattern is for you.

The sleeves are joined in with the front and back pattern pieces giving it the lovely drape.

I can't wait to feel all summery on my holiday in September although i'm sure I will be wearing it before if we get the weather.

Has anyone else made this dress, let me know i'd love to see your take on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment