Wednesday 12 April 2017

My First ever quilt

Today I am going to share with you my progress on my first ever quilt!

Working in a fabric shop where a lot of the customers are quilters I thought I better have a crack at a quilt myself. I didn't want to just make one for the sake of it either I wanted to make one for a purpose and wait for the perfect fabric.

A couple of weeks ago now some lovely charm packs got delivered to the shop. I knew this was the fabric for my first quilt when I saw it. The fabric is from Moda and the collection is poetry. The prints in this remind me a bit of Cath kinston but more traditional and softer.

The lovely People I work with helped me pick out the quilt pattern I was going to use. They chose a lovely one called Parade. These patter cards are brilliant they show you a picture of the finished quilt on the front and then what fabrics you need on the back and the instructions. This particular pattern required 5 inch squares which is why we chose it as my charm pack was perfect for it I also needed a plain border fabric I chose a pink fabric to contrast which was a makower Linea fabric.


This is how far I have got so far, there is an option to add another border around the edge to make it bigger which is what I am going to do I am going to use a patterned fabric, possibly a spotty fabric, nothing that will distract away from the rest of the quilt.





I also need to choose my backing fabric and binding fabric. I am thinking of a white fabric for the backing and picking out the lovely blue colour in my quilt for my binding.

The finished size of my quilt will be 49" by 63" not big enough to be a bed quilt but I am going to put it on the bottom of my quilt as a bed runner.

I will keep you posted on how I get on with the rest of my quilt.

All fabric and pattern card was bought from www.ohsewsweetshop.co.uk  Not everything is available to buy online but if you don't live far it is definitely worth a visit and you never know it might be a day I am working!

No comments:

Post a Comment